Introducing : Emma Poorters




ENGLISH

A while ago we had the idea to start a new project. We want to put young artists in the spotlight and get a larger audience acquainted with their work. The very first person we want to introduce is non other than our own photographer, Emma Poorters.

The new project ofcourse needed to be accompanied with some great looking snaps so our search began. Knowing that Emma studied photography in high school, at that time she already made interesting photographs. That's why we approached her and we are so glad to share her work with you.

_____

Could you introduce yourself?
At the edge of twenty and living in Elsene. Always searching for new challenges and experiences to find peace within.

How did you get into the world of art?
From a young age, my stepbrother often took me to museums and expositions. This is how my love for art began. After a long time of nagging, my parents agreed and I got to go to the art school (in Hasselt) at the age of fifteen. Currently I am studying graphic design at Sint Lukas in Brussels. 



Which medium speaks to you the most?
The past year I've been working with projections. The combining of certain objects or the mixing of diaprojectors and moving footage. My interest lies mostly in the digital, though I also like working with my hands. That was something interesting about the projector installations, there was a mix of the physical (the objects) and the digital (the projected images).
 




Is there a central theme in your work?
I work a lot wiith intuition and feeling. I think it's interesting to take out certain things I see or experience (in my daily life, environment) and to use these as an inspiration for new work. I talk a lot about my concepts with other people because I find it interesting to see it from different perspectives. There doesn't seem to be a recurrent element in my work, at least not for me. 

How do you usually start a new work?
A concept often comes to me quite unexpectedly, I love to do research but I know that this has the opposite effect. It limits my process. I'd rather walk around in the city and talk to people. I usually come to a concept when I place everything together.


Which images inspire you?
I like a lot of street scenes. Light rays that form a particular composition, people who are standing in certain way, shadows, .. 
Which artists are your main sources of inspiration?
Currently I am still intriged by the work of Bill Viola, the use of light by Olafur Eliasson and graphic novel artist Craig Thompson. 

What do you expect from the future?
I hope to find more clarity in what I want to do later. I often have the feeling that I just do things without going in a certain direction, gain experience. There is little consistency.



Just out of curiosity, what do you expect from the blog?
I hope to learn about new forms of art and to hear the underlying stories.




If you want to know more about Emma you should visit her flickr and her portfolio.


_____________________


NEDERLANDS

Een tijd geleden kwamen we met het idee om een nieuw project te beginnen. We willen jonge kunstenaars in de schijnwerpers zetten en een groter publiek kennis laten maken met hun werk. De persoon die de spits mag afbijten is niemand minder dan onze fotografe, Emma Poorters.

Bij het nieuwe project hoort natuurlijk ook uitstekend uitziende foto's dus begon onze zoektocht. Wetende dat Emma fotografie gestudeerd heeft in het middelbaar en destijds al interessante foto's maakte, bracht ons op het idee om haar aan te spreken. We delen met plezier haar werk met u.

_____

Stel uzelf eens voor
Randje twintig en wonend in Elsene. Altijd op zoek naar nieuwe uitdagingen en ervaringen om daarin rust te vinden.

Op welke manier ben je terecht gekomen in de kunsten?
Mijn halfbroer nam mij vanaf jonge leeftijd om de zoveel tijd mee naar musea en exposities. Zo ontstond ook mijn liefde voor kunst. Na heel erg lang zagen bij mijn ouders mocht ik op vijftienjarige leeftijd een opleiding starten aan de provinciale kunsthumaniora te Hasselt. Momenteel ben ik bezig aan een opleiding Grafisch Ontwerp aan het Sint Lukas in Brussel.



Welk medium spreekt u het meeste aan?
Het afgelopen jaar ben ik heel veel bezig geweest met projecties. Het combineren met bepaalde objecten of het mixen van diaprojectoren en bewegende footage. Mijn interesse gaat alleszins voornamelijk naar het digitale toe al ben ik ook graag met mijn handen bezig. Dat was het interessante aan de projector installaties, dan had ik een mix van het fysieke (de objecten) en het digitale (de geprojecteerde beelden).






Is er een centraal thema in uw werk?
Ik werk heel veel rond intuïtie en gevoel. Ik haal liefst dingen uit mijn omgeving of leefwereld om daarrond een eigen werk te maken. Ik praat dan ook erg veel over mijn concepten met andere mensen omdat ik het interessant vind om het van verschillende kanten te kunnen bekijken. Er is geen echte rode draad in terug te vinden, alleszins niet door mij.

Hoe ga je meestal te werk?
Een concept komt bij mij vaak redelijk onverwacht, ik hou ervan om research te doen maar weet dat dit mij meestal beperkt. Liever loop ik gewoon rond in de stad, praat ik met mensen. Meestal kom ik dan tot een concept wanneer ik alles even samen plaats.




Welke beelden inspireren u?
Ik hou veel van straattaferelen. Lichtstralen die net een bepaalde compositie vormen, mensen die op bepaalde manieren staan, schaduwen,…
Welke kunstenaars zijn uw voornaamste inspiratiebronnen?
Momenteel ben ik nog steeds erg geïntrigeerd door het oeuvre van Bill Viola, lichtspel van Olafur Eliasson en graphic novel artiest Craig Thompson.

Wat verwacht je van de toekomst?
Ik hoop meer duidelijkheid te vinden in wat ik wil gaan doen later. Ik heb nog te vaak het gevoel dat ik maar gewoon dingen doe zonder een richting uit te gaan, ervaring op te doen. Er is nog te weinig samenhang.


En even uit nieuwsgierigheid, wat verwacht je van de blog?
Ik hoop voornamelijk nieuwe vormen van kunst te leren kennen en ook de achterliggende verhalen te horen.






Als je meer wil weten over Emma, dan kan je altijd even haar flickr of haar portfolio bestuderen. 



Photos by Emma Poorters
Interview by Kimberly 


_____

Kimberly

0 reacties:

Feel free to leave a comment

 

Céline

Kimberly

Meltem